Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sydney DAY 6: Breakfast at Cafe Delafrance

Cafe Delafrance
http://www.delafrance.com.au/



On our last day in Sydney, we were all tired and dazed. Check out was before 10am but our flight wasn't till 5pm so we had that awkward multi-hour gap to fill. It's kind of hard finding things to do when you:
  • Don't want to do any walking
  • Are paranoid about missing your flight
  • Have steadily run out of money and stomach space
Shopping, I feel, needs some concentration. We went to a nearby mall and also browsed around Market City but it was pretty aimless wandering. Our day ended up being filled by a few episodes of stop-and-sit whereupon we'd have a coffee or other drink and sit and zone out for a while.



The first of these places was a bit less pointless than that because we actually had breakfast. Without any particular cafe in mind, we simply walked into one that was on our route. It was called Cafe Delafrance and took up a nice, open corner block.

The cafe was busy when we got there. They have a range of attractive looking pastries in the cabinet, a customizable sandwich bar and some hot breakfast options.

I chose coffee, French toast and a chocolate croissant take away. The others got the baked big breakfast.


The coffee (latte, as usual) arrived with pretty flower patterns. They weren't bad and that morning, I really needed the caffeine.

French toast with almond, fresh banana and maple syrup

My French toast arrived looking very pretty with a split, fresh banana and toasted almonds. I couldn't figure out why it tasted so bland at first but then, realised they had forgotten to give me maple syrup. We asked for it and it came - after that, the taste improved dramatically. It's not the best French toast I've had - the almonds give it a nice aroma and texture but it's nothing I can't do at home. I remember having a French toast at Lock n' Load in Brisbane and just thinking "I cannot believe they achieved this with a piece of bread and some egg". This one was nowhere near as good.

Baked big breakfast

Close-up of baked big breakfast

The baked big breakfast looked impressive on the wooden slab. On the scale of big breakfasts that I've seen in Sydney, this was relatively small. I tried a bit of tomato and mushroom and came to the horrible conclusion that it tasted a bit like airplane food. Not sure if it's just because my tastebuds had KO'd because the guys didn't complain too much.

Chocolate croissant

I had my chocolate croissant later on and though it was squashed, it wasn't too bad. Nothing stand out though.

Cafe Delafrance is more of a standard cafe with some French-influenced offerings than an authentic French bakery. You just have to try the food to realise this but to their merit, the prices are quite reasonable. On the plus side, I thought the cafe itself was comfortable to sit in and the open wall design made it perfect for people-watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment