Monday, July 20, 2009

Grilled Haloumi

Grilled Haloumi
Home Cooking



Haloumi cheese is one of those 'it' produces that have gained spotlight with the increased popularity of tapas. Nowadays, you'll see it offered on many cafe and restaurant menus as a side or as a meat-replacement in salads etc. Though I love my meat, I can happily munch on a chunk of grilled or pan-fried haloumi without feeling like I'm missing out on anything.


I bought a chunk at the supermarket to see how good a home version could be. Verdict = VERY good. It's super easy to whip up grilled haloumi cheese. This is BARELY passable as home 'cooking' because it's just THAT easy.

I have tried grilling and pan-frying the cheese - the effect is similar so you can go ahead with whatever you're comfortable with. The seasoning I chose is just a suggestion.

Grilled Haloumi
Makes... however much you like :)

Ingredients:

  • block of haloumi cheese
  • dried oregano
  • chili flakes
  • olive oil
  • fresh lemon
Procedure:

1. Cut the cheese into slices. I like thick slices - the ones in these photos were a bit thin for my liking.2. Coat the slices with oil, oregano and chili flakes to your taste. I find that the cheese itself has some saltiness and doesn't require extra salt.3. Grill at 200 degrees Celcius for 5-7min till the surface is bubbly. If you're opting to pan-fry, just cook in a heated pan till one side is golden, flip and cook the other side.4. Serve with a squeeze of lemon.


I served up my haloumi cheese in a Mediterranean-style platter with some crisp pita bread, hommus, tzatziki and bitter salad. So delish!

1 comment:

  1. GAHHH want to rush home from work for Haloumi cheeese!!! (added bonus for me: I'm lactose intolerant but NEVER have had a problem with the haloumi :))

    ReplyDelete