Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Roast Rack of Lamb

Roast Rack of Lamb
Home Cooking



I had some polenta chips left over that needed cooking so I started thinking about what I could serve them with. Roast lamb came to mind because I remember they did a class on how to cook lamb rack on MasterChef. That sounded good. Lamb is great! So out I went to buy a rack to roast.

There's no real 'recipe' behind this. Roasting the lamb was more of a procedural thing so I'll just outline what I did.


Here's a link to the original class: CLICK.

I served my lamb with some boiled green beans tossed through butter and some polenta chips (click here for the recipe).

Roast Rack of Lamb
Serves 2

Ingredients:

  • rack of lamb, frenched
  • 1 tbsp of butter
  • few sprigs of rosemary
  • salt
Procedure:

1. Cover the bones with a piece of foil. Sprinkle some salt over the surfaces. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.2. Melt the butter and rosemary in a frying pan. When it's really hot, seal the lamb rack. Put it in fat-side down first. After a minute or 2, turn it and seal the other side.3. Pop the lamb in the oven, fat side down and roast for 12 min. Turn it once half way through.
4. Take the roast out and rest it for 6min before carving and serving.

To make a simple gravy sauce, reserve the pan juice from the lamb, add some shallots, rosemary, thyme, white wine and veal stock. Let it simmer for a while and strain the mix to get rid of the herbs and sediments. Return the liquid to a pan and stir through some butter and a tiny bit of cream. Season and serve with the meat.


I struggled a bit with getting nice presentation but the lamb was lovely - perfectly cooked with a bit of pinkness on the inside. I'm still tentative about cooking meat so it was promising to get such a nice result. My little obsession is smothering lamb chops in hot English mustard; it's so sinus-assaulting, yet wonderful.


A bit of red meat + veggies and chips = great, simple, classic dinner. Can't go past that.

1 comment: