Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Malt cookies

Malt cookies
Home Cooking



Surely I don't need to elaborate on my current malt obsession in any greater detail? Well ok, maybe just one more time. I'll be brief:

Malt? I dig it.

Yehhhh...

So malt cookies sounded right on in terms of satisfying my cravings. I had malt powder. I had the other ingredients. Time to get the rolling!


Malt cookies
Makes approx 1/2 jar of cookies (see pic below)

Ingredients:

  • 100g plain flour
  • 60g cold butter, coarsely chopped
  • 20g pure icing sugar
  • 20g malt powder
  • 1 egg yolk
  • sugar, for dusting
Procedure:

1. Process flour, butter, icing sugar and malt powder in a food processor until fine crumbs form.2. Add the egg yolk and process to just combine.
3. Turn the dough onto a work surface and bring the mixture together with the heel of your hand, using a pushing and rubbing motion.4. Form into a smooth disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm (1.5hrs or so).
5. When the dough is ready, preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick.6. Use a cookie cutter to cut rounds from the pastry. Place these cookies on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Re-oil the scraps and repeat.7. Prick the cookies with a fork and brush lightly with water. Sprinkle on the sugar.8. Bake until light golden (5-6min) and cool completely.9. Dust with extra malt powder to serve.


The cookies turned out alright. The texture is very crumbly and crunchy but not at all crisp. I think that on their own, they're a bit lacking but sprinkled with extra sugar or malt powder (which is recommended), they're quite good.


I also like them dipped in condensed milk or crushed over the milk ice-cream I made. With the ice-cream, the end result is much superior to the sum of the parts. Try it.

1 comment:

  1. I love hot malt drinks.
    It looks so delicious in cookie form. :)

    ReplyDelete