Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken and Chutney Sausage Rolls

Chicken and Chutney Sausage Rolls
Home Cooking



This was another one of my contributions for my lunch party a couple of weeks back. I found the recipe in The Essential Fingerfood cookbook by Murdoch Books (you can preview the book on Google Books here).

Bite shot

My initial batch that was actually presented on the day left a lot to be desired in terms of appearance simply because I was running around like a headless chicken, micromanaging and wishing I had 2 more pairs of hands.


I had some left-over mince that I made into another lot of sausage rolls in my own time, at a leisurely pace. They are actually really easy to do. Make the mince the night before and refrigerate. On the day, defrost the puff pastry and roll and bake. Or, you can even form the rolls the day before and refrigerate so that on the day, all you have to do is bake.

Chicken and Chutney Sausage Rolls
Makes ~ 30

Ingredients:

  • 500g chicken mince
  • 3 finely chopped spring onions
  • 1 grated carrot
  • 3/4 cup of bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp spicy fruit chutney
  • 1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 sheets of puff pastry (I used butter puff)
  • sesame seeds
Procedure:

1. Put out the puff pastry to defrost. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius.

2. Mix together the mince, spring onion, carrot, breadcrumbs, chutney, sweet chili, grated ginger and 1/2 the egg mixture in a large bowl. Get down and dirty with your hands until it's all evenly combined. Season. I like to fry off a bit of mince at this stage to taste so I can adjust the seasoning.

3. Cut your puff pastry in half lengthwise.

4. Brush some of the remaining egg along the length of the puff pastry sheet. Pipe or spoon some filling down the center of the sheet.5. Roll the sausage roll up with the seem on the bottom. Brush the top with more egg and sprinkle with sesame.

6. Repeat for the remainder of puff pastry and filling.

7. You then cut the long rolls into short, grabable portions (6 per log worked for me). I found it hard to get the knife through with the pastry all defrosted so you might want to return the rolled up puff pastry into the freezer until it's hard enough to cut without the knife causing the pastry to drag.

8. Position the little sausage rolls on a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray.9. Bake in the preheated oven for 15min and then reduce the heat to 180 degrees. At this stage, the pastry should be puffed up but not yet golden. Bake for another 10min-15min at 180 degrees or until it is golden and cooked throughout.

10. Serve immediately with some popular sauces/dips (sweet chili or tomato sauce are my picks).


As I mentioned above, this recipe is really easy to put together. Mixing the mince is a piece of cake and the only really fiddly thing is rolling up and cutting the sausage rolls... but come on, admit it: the messiness and challenge is actually enjoyable.

Saucy

Chicken and sweet chutney is a great combination. I would have liked a bit of extra spiciness to the filling so in the future, I might add some hot paprika or cayenne pepper. It makes for a nice alternative to the conventional sausage roll formula.

Fingerfood = useful for multitasking with TV/reading

No comments:

Post a Comment