Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fig Jam on Toast

Fig Jam on Toast
Home Cooking



I lurrrve fresh figs but they're quite seasonal and usually, when spotted, a bit on the expensive side. A couple of weeks back, my mum and I were at a fruit store and I spied punnets of figs for $2. They were really ripe to the point that they had to be eaten on the day but hey, I can manage that. No worries.



Most of the figs were eaten as is but I felt experimental with the remaining fruit so I thought I'd make 'something'. I didn't know what 'something was' until I finished so it was very much a throw together and pray procedure. The end result was tasty though so I'd like to share.


Fig Jam on Toast

Serves 2 (with bread)

Ingredients:

  • 2 fresh figs, sliced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ~ 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • sugar and salt to taste
  • crusty bread, toasted to serve
Procedure:

1. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and fry the figs. Reduce the heat and let them get all mushy.2. Add the balsamic vinegar and season to taste.3. Serve the jam with bread and butter.


I loved the combination of salty, sweet and sour. My bread of choice was olive sourdough and it worked great with the fig flavor.

Bitey shot

The melted salty butter melds with the jam and makes it all fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment