Thursday, March 25, 2010

Apricot Chicken

Apricot Chicken
Home Cooking



Continuing on with the trend of bulk cooking, last night was apricot chicken night. A trip to Coles was arranged to pick up necessary ingredients and I'm happy to announce I got a free 6-pack of chocolate hot cross buns (buy one get one free deal). The funny thing is, we weren't sure whether the discount was put through and when I was asked to check, I automatically threw out the receipt. This was the first of the evening's many lapses in judgment.

Skinning a pineapple

Apricot chicken is one of Byron's dishes (probably doesn't require clarification since I haven't posted any savory dish of my own doing for many months) so the actual recipe is hazy to me. I wasn't much of a positive contribution to the cooking process but I know a large pot was involved. After identifying myself as a redundancy, I removed myself from the kitchen and watched Biggest Loser on TV.

Apricot Chicken
Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 9 chicken drumsticks
  • 2 onions, cut into wedges
  • 1/2 pineapple, skin removed and diced
  • 2 packets of French onion soup mix
  • 1.5 cups of apricot nectar
  • 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
  • 5 potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks and boiled
  • steamed broccoli and steamed rice, to serve
Procedure:

1. Seal the chicken drumsticks in a large frying pan on high heat.2. In a large saucepan, stir the soup mix and pineapple pieces through the apricot nectar and gently bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer.3. Add the chicken and onion into the sauce and pop on the lid. Simmer for ~ 40min or until chicken is cooked.
4. Meanwhile, boil your potatoes and prepare the broccoli and rice.
5. When your chicken is tender, thicken the sauce with the cornstarch. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve the apricot chicken with the rice, broccoli and potatoes. Ladle plenty of sauce over the top.


This is a really sweet, moreish dish that goes perfectly well with rice. We agreed that the potato seemed like an unnecessary overload of carbohydrates. I would've liked more onion and pineapple pieces.


The chicken drumsticks were tender and juicy with the meat separating easily from the bone. Chicken and apricot go well nicely together and both make a nice change from our tirade of pasta and mince products.

No comments:

Post a Comment