Saturday, March 20, 2010

Birthday celebration #2: Duck noodles with the family

Roast Duck Noodle Soup
Home Cooking



As part of my ploy to stretch out my birthday celebrations for as long as possible, I had a small dinner thing with my parents last night. It was 1 week after partying with friends but a few days before the actual event. The birthday tradition in my family is to eat noodles as they are supposed to symbolize long life. Knowing this, I got pretty excited because noodles are one of those food items that I never appreciated much living at home but am constantly craving now that I'm forced to live off toast.

I gave mum and dad about 2 weeks notice hinting a desire for duck noodles (preferably in soup format). Being the lovely humans that my parents are, they obliged.

Stock- brought everything together perfectly

This duck noodle soup is really easy to put together but it's all about the quality of ingredients. Mum spent ages brewing up a nice stock and that forms the base of the soup.

Roast Duck Noodle Soup
Serves 3
Ingredients:
  • soup base (method to be posted later)
  • handful of bok choi
  • noodles of choice
  • pre-bought roast duck
  • seasoned egg (boiled egg sauteed in soy sauce and tea; optional)
Procedure:

1. Boil the noodles according to the directions on the packet. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat up a bit of vegetable oil in a large wok and stir fry the bok choi until wilted. Season with some salt.3. Heat up the duck and the soup.
4. Arrange the noodles in the soup and layer the bok choi, duck and egg over the top. Serve hot and enjoy :D.


My family celebration couldn't be any more different to the one I had with friends. On this day, we visited the bank, ate Breadtop, watched The Princess Diaries, napped, played cards and then had a leisurely meal involving these duck noodles, cooked prawns and roast sweet potato.


I thought the duck noodles were absolutely delicious! Slurpy. Dad likes thin, silky noodles. I like them a bit thick and rustic with some chew to them. Munching on the duck pieces, I kept thinking to myself that sometimes, the simplest things are the most enjoyable. That and the fact that duck way beats out chicken.

We had a little cheesecake afterwards too but I'll post that in the Breadtop page.

Thanks mum and dad for a memorable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment