Saturday, March 27, 2010

Scone Bread and Doughnut French Toast

Scone Bread and Doughnut French Toast
Home Cooking



I'm a bit mad about scones. I've probably produced more batches of scones than anything else I've ever cooked. I devour these things religiously. I like plain. I like buttermilk. I like fruit scones and date scones. Actually, I LOVE date scones. I like pumpkin scones. I like savory scones. My heart skips a bit when I find new scones I've never tried before (blueberry? Spinach and feta?)

Honey drizzled on French toast

I buy scones from cafes, bakeries, chain grocery stores and private market stalls. Scones are one of the only things I can whip up without any recipe reference.



I like them plain. Or with butter. Or with jam and cream.


Now that I've made my point, I think you can understand my excitement at finding something labeled 'Scone Toast' at Coles. The packaging is gorgeous with luxe brown matte finish that makes you think of coffee and cafes (and irrelevantly, suede) just looking at it. I had to buy it obviously (or dye not knowing) but I'm not completely mindless. I had doubts about how 'scone-like' a loaf of bread could be. Was I falling victim to some clever marketing ploy?

Byron and I bought a loaf each. His was buttermilk. Mine was date and caramel (can one food item GET any more appealing???)

Bite-shot of bread

As soon as we got home, he ripped into his loaf. I waited the verdict and it came as 'tastes like bread. But really nice bread'. It was sort of what we were expecting.

I tried my own loaf the next day for breakfast. My opinion is thus: scone toast is nice for several reasons. 1) they are cut into huge, thick slices. 2) the texture, whilst not being exactly scone-like is denser and richer than plain toast. 3) there's a nice floury coating that makes you think 'freshly baked'. 4) there's a really subtle sweetness that just bets for accompaniment with cream.

Toasted scone toast :D

I like the scone toast warmed up (i.e. toasted... but I didn't want to point out the obvious). More than that though, I think it's great for using in desserts that require bread. I made French toast using this bread but I reckon it'd also be fabulous for bread and butter pudding.

Doughnut French Toast

Serves 1

Ingredients:
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 30ml full fat milk
  • 2 slices of thick white bread
  • tbsp of butter plus a drop of oil
  • 25g caster sugar
Procedure:

1. Beat the egg, milk and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl.
2. Soak the bread in the eggy mixture for 5min a side.3. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry until golden and scorched in part on both sides.4. Put sugar in a plate and dip cooked bread in sugar until coated like a doughnut. Serve immediately.


This is originally a Nigella Lawson recipe but I found it through the Cookbook Maniac's food blog. As creative as the title is, it's basically a standard French toast crusted in sugar. Not that that's a bad thing.

In fact, it's a very, very good thing.

This was so easy for me to make. If you have eggs and milk at home, you really don't have an excuse. I had mine with a slight drizzle of honey, though of course you can serve your French toast with whatever you like.

The Scone Toast suited this dish perfectly. It's thick cut was great for soaking up the egg mixture without risk of falling apart.

MMM... texture shot

The outside of the French toast was sugary and crunchy whilst the inside was soft and slightly custardy. A really nice breakfast item or, if you're a night owl like me, perfect for light night snacking.

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen these scone toasts before. I must keep my eye out for these at the supermarket. yummy yummy yummy.

    ReplyDelete