Sunday, April 4, 2010

Pizza Party

Pizza Party
Home Cooking



As is usual for the first days of my uni breaks, I camped over at my parents house for a change in scenery. We went to Noosa for Good Friday and ate at Aromas. I ordered a pizza that was 'alright' but gave me an itch to create my own (superior) versions.

I brainstormed a couple of topping combinations that I wanted and purchased the appropriate ingredients.

Topping ingredients and dough rising in bowls (I had another recipe going at the same time that also required rising)

The recipe for pizza base was one I'd used earlier. I made the full amount and pushed it out to 2 large, rectangular pizzas.


I made one tomato-based and one white-sauce-based.

Ingredients layered on

Pizza 1:
  • supermarket pizza sauce
  • thin slices of sopresso salami
  • fresh basil leaves
  • semi-dried tomatoes
  • sliced mushrooms
  • fresh mozarella
Pizza 2:
  • homemade pesto (ground roasted pinenuts, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil)
  • homemade bechamel sauce (flour, butter, milk, garlic and salt)
  • shredded cooked chicken
  • sliced mushrooms
  • fresh mozarella
Out of the oven

The pizzas both turned out fabulously. It's so much more rewarding making your own pizza and most of the time, they're a better caliber of ingredients than restaurants and cafes use (unless you go to an award-winning pizza place but then the prices are hiked accordingly).

It was hard work grinding the pesto because I only had a tiny mortar pestle but boy, did the kitchen smell good. The combination of pesto and bechamel sauce was lovely with the chicken and mushroom.

Choppity

Though I used a supermarket pizza sauce for my 'red' pizza, I don't really think of it as a cop out. The salami was crisp, the cheese was bubbling. It was a gorgeous pizza too.

Close-up of pizza 2

I've had great results with this particular dough recipe. My trick is to put the pizza on the bottom rack of the oven for 10-13min and then transfer to the top run for 2-5min to bubble and crisp the toppings.

Our pizzas were enjoyed with beer and a game of cards. Nice holiday fun :D.

No comments:

Post a Comment