Went through a big strog phase when I first discovered it a month ago. Sour cream sauce with beef. In Winter. How can you go wrong?
I also made a chicken strog but didn't post it at the time because I like to avoid repetition and keep things interesting. The idea is have my readers think I'm out exploring amazing recipes and restaurants every day. Truth is I'll find something I like and fall into a repetitive rut.
I made up this chicken strog recipe but it was largely inspired by this from the Masterchef website. It's so easy to do. Think of it as fast food.
Chicken Stroganoff with Pasta
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/3 cup of plain flour
- 2 x chicken breasts (~500g), cut into strips
- 1 x onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup of sliced button mushrooms
- 200g of sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of chopped parsley
- cooked pasta, to serve
1. Mix the flour and paprika together. Coat the chicken pieces.2. Seal the chicken on high heat with some oil. 3. Add the onion and mushrooms and stir-fry until onions begin to brown.4. Reduce heat and add the sour cream. Simmer until chicken is cooked and onions are tender.
5. Season and stir through some parsley.
6. Serve with pasta and a sprinkle of paprika.
This dish is very easy, moreish and, if you use light sour cream, pretty easy on the calories too. It would go with pasta or rice, depending on what you have available. Feel free to mix-up the ingredients too.
I love mushrooms so I might add more next time (they shrink!) I love adding sour cream to meaty sauces because it just lends a fresh, tangy richness. Great dish and I recommend.