Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fitzy's on Church

Fitzy's on Church
153 Margaret Street, Toowoomba



I haven't had much of a chance to explore the dining scene in Toowoomba because that takes a dining buddy. I left Hien behind in Brisbane and there was noway I was going restaurant hopping on my own around here. Lucky for me, Mochi's come to my rescue.



We headed to Fitzy's for dinner and catch up. It's located behind Fibber's, which sources tell me is the most happenin' pub in town.


When we walked through the pub, I did think it seemed pretty good. The restaurant was much bigger than I expected. It was quite empty to start with so I was surprised that they asked us for a booking (it was a weeknight after all) but after we were there for a while, the tables really started filling up.


The menu offers some typical Australian/pub-style dishes. You have your salads, steaks, burgers and so on.


Latte

I ordered a latte to start with. It was in a very tall glass and not bad at all.

Warm vegetable salad - asparagus, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, grilled haloumi with flash fried prawns and calamari

For mains, Mochi ordered a warm vegetable salad with prawns and calamari. It was a large serve and looked fairly hearty. I tried a piece of calamari and it was... it was what you'd expect.

Holy Cow burger - Fitzy's special grind patty, sticky onion, roast tomato, peppered bacon, cheese and garlic mayo, with a side of fries and coleslaw

When my burger was put down in front of me, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. It was massive! Bigger than my head. I didn't even think of holding it up to my mouth... and instead opted for cutting it apart (trying to be ladylike here). I clawed away at most of the meat patty (nice and moist) and the grilled onion (love grilled onion).

It came with a side of salad, coleslaw and chips. Chips are one of my food vices. They're terrible for my skin and for making me bloated but good crunchy chips are impossible to resist. I'd say that these fell into that category. The coleslaw was too creamy for my liking. I ended up getting most of this plate takeaway (which I've never done at an Australian restaurant before; but I saw another table doing it and figured it was OK).

We are both dessert lovers and wouldn't think about going out for food without trying something for dessert.

Mochi and I didn't know what we wanted and ended up choosing through a process of exclusion by eliminating what we DIDN'T want. We ended up going for the orange and almond cake.

Orange and almond cake with cream and ice-cream

It was fragrant, sticky and sweet. It was a bit too sweet for me though I liked the texture. It was like a syrup cake to me and really needed the side of cream and ice-cream.

We had a good time at Fitzy's. Even though it was full by the time we left, it was a nice place to chat and a good compromise of relaxed without being too casual. The food was on the dearer side but that was made up for with huge servings. Service was friendly but slow. The wait for food and dessert was long and if I didn't have so much talking to do, I would have minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment