Monday, March 14, 2011

Fire and Ice Restaurant

Fire and Ice
839 Ruthven Street, Toowoomba



When I first saw Fire and Ice, I thought it was a trendy club. Later, I found out it was a family restaurant. That made me want to go even more, which is a sign I'm getting old.

We wrote it off a few times in favor of other dining opportunities until one day, a few of our friends in Toowoomba hosted a dinner there.



First point... Mochi and I found it really hard to get parking.

Second point... the restaurant is large and you order drinks at the bar, and food at the other counter. A bit confusing for us first-timers.

French martini

We got there early and had a couple of drinks. I had a French martini - not great but not bad.

The menu is mostly typical glammed-up pub affair: pizzas, steaks, salads and so on.

Garlic crust - crushed garlic and shaved parmesan on a pizza bread

Our table had a garlic and cheese pizza to start with. At that point I was starving so even though I hate garlic, the pizza definitely hit the spot.

Prawn and mango salad - fresh prawns, mango, avocado, watercress, snow pea sprouts, sunflower seeds, crisp pancetta and red wine vinaigrette

I ordered the prawn and mango salad. It was tiny for a main. I would have put this under entree category for sure but it was the hefty price of a full main. The salad was quite fresh but not too interesting. My only consolation was that it was healthy.

250g eye fillet - with chips and salad

Mochi ordered a steak. It came with salad, hot chips and tomato sauce. We've had a lot of steaks in our time so I'm not sure that this really made an impression.

Some other mains that were ordered:

400g rib fillet - with chips and salad

Vegetarian pizza - roast red capsicum puree base, eggplant, zucchini, sweet potato, basil and mozarella

To be honest, I wasn't blown away by Fire and Ice. The price was on par with some of the higher end steak restaurants in Brisbane and I know which I'd prefer. I guess I would say the environment was nice but again, nothing too stand out. I was really disappointed by my salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment