Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Salmon, Pesto and Mint Pasta

Salmon, Pesta and Mint Pasta
Home Cooking



I think I can squeeze in one more home cooking post before the Easter break. This was also a creation for our most recent dinner party. It was the best I could come up with that satisfied the criteria of: healthy, filling and easy.

I got the recipe from 'Healthy Food Magazine' (June 2010 issue).


There's not much more to say in the prelude for this post. You're supposed to fry a salmon fillet but I just bought some smoked salmon, cut that up and fried it. Oh, and the original recipe calls for fettucini but I substituted for penne because that's what I had in the pantry.

I'm clearly just TOO wild and creative to be able to stick to a recipe. I should say that the mint was my own addition too... and the reason for that is I couldn't find any fresh basil leaves. But rather than being a blunderous error, I think the mint complimented the dish VERY nicely.

Salmon, Pesto and Mint Pasta
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:

  • 400g penne pasta (or whatever shape you desire)
  • 200g salmon (I used sliced smoked salmon)
  • 3 tbsp pesto
  • 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
  • 1 red onion, cut into wedges
  • fresh mint leaves
Procedure:

1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Place the tomatoes and onion wedges in a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and roast for about 20min or until soft.2. Meanwhile, fry the salmon until cooked and tear it apart into small chunks.3. Cook the pasta according to the packet. Drain well and set aside.
4. When the veggies are done, toss together with the salmon and pasta. Stir through some pesto.
5. Garnish with torn fresh mint leaves and serve warm.


I really liked the flavors of this pasta dish. Salmon does it for me any time of the day but I usually have it paired with cream cheese and capers. I thought it went very well with the pesto and mint.


The roast veggies make the dish more robust and suitable to serve as a main.

Word of warning: this meal wasn't as great when microwaved the next day because the pesto sorta dried up. So eat it all up!

1 comment:

  1. yummmy great combo! make it again and can we add avo this time? :D

    ReplyDelete