Sunday, July 27, 2014

Coffee Condensed Milk Ice-Cream

Coffee Condensed Milk Ice-Cream
Home Cooking


I have an unfortunate relationship with my ice-cream machine. I get an extreme rush of satisfacion whenever I make my own ice-cream, uncorrelated to how difficult the task actually is. It just makes me feel good, like I have the power to create pure happiness. Sad to say, I've somehow managed to lose my ice-cream machine paddle.


I figured out I could still use the machine cooler bucket and hand paddle the ice-cream but then I found this recipe that didn't need churning at all. Sorry Mr Krups machine, I guess your use is fading out...

This is a recipe from my fav dessert gal Nigella Lawson. She says it's easy and I can attest that it is sooooo easy. You don't need an ice-cream machine. You don't actually need any skill in the kitchen. You DO need an electric whisk or a stand mixer, unless you have superhuman inexhaustable arm muscles that don't mind whisking cream to peaks.

I made some adjustments to the original ice-cream because my house is an instant coffee-free house. I used a shot of espresso from my machine instead. I was worried it would make the mixture too watery and result in ice-crystals but it turned out fine.

Coffee Condensed Milk Ice-cream
Creates approx 800ml (use 1L container)

Ingredients:
  • 300ml double cream
  • 175g sweetened condensed milk
  • 2 tbsp instant espresso powder (I used 30ml or 1 shot of espresso)
  • 2 tbsp espresso liqueur (I used Tia Maria)
Procedure:

1. Whisk all ingredients together until soft peaks form. NOTE: if you are using fresh espresso like I did, COOL IT DOWN before you add it to the mix! Cream does not form peaks unless it's cold.
2. Fill a 1L container or 2 x 500ml containers and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.
3. Serve straight from the freezer.
I enjoyed this ice-cream as is and with a combination of other treats. It's coffee flavoured so it goes with a lot of things. I made little macaron ice-cream sandwiches for a lunch party. I also had scoops as affogato with a shot of hot espresso poured over it. I really liked it combined with warm banana and date bread. There's something special about the combination of date and coffee.

Macaron ice-cream sandwiches

My parents loved this ice-cream too. It's so easy to make there's really no excuses. The mixture tastes very sweet before it's frozen but in ice-cream form it's fine. It's still too sweet for me to eat more than 2 scoops but with my lack of self control, that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment