Friday, April 15, 2016

Bare Bones Society for Brunch

Bare Bones Society
http://barebonessociety.com/


Moving to the west of Brisbane, the restaurant I was most keen to try was Bare Bones Society. It has been on my radar for a long time but always felt too far away. Now, it's barely 5 minutes drive so there were no more excuses.


I've been to Bare Bones twice now for weekday brunch. They're also open for dinner on Friday nights with a changing menu. The restaurant is smack bang in the middle of the Homemaker Centre in Jindalee, so there are lots of parking spots.



The first time I visited, it was extremely busy and it took me forever to get the attention of waitstaff. More recently I went again and it was much quieter with spot on efficient service. Both visits happened during the week around the same time so I guess it just depends on your luck on the day.

There's a generous indoor seating space with some extra tables set out the front if you want to enjoy fresh air.


The menu is my kind of dream cafe menu. There are so many things on there that sound good to me. On my first visit I ordered the green power smoothie and the heirloom tomatoes on flat bread.

Green power smoothie - kale, spinach, spinach, cucumber, mint, apple, chlorophyll and pineapple juice

The smoothie was excellent. It was refreshing and lightly sweetened with apple and pineapple juice but not too sweet. I certainly felt healthy drinking this.

Scorched heirloom tomatoes - with whipped garlic,  baba ganoush and goats cheese, on rosemary and garlic flatbread

I was extremely impressed by my breakfast order. This is probably the nicest thing I've had for breakfast in over a year. I imagine this is not a dish for everyone because some people (eg Marc) don't like tomatoes. I, on the other hand, love tomatoes. Big tomatoes from the supermarket can taste bland but the small ones, particularly heirloom varieties, are bursting with flavour. Slightly blistered with olive oil and herbs, these tomatoes were heavenly. I also enjoyed the accompaniments of goats cheese and whipped garlic. This is a dish I could eat over and over again for breakfast, lunch, whenever.


On my second visit, I ordered another juice but this time one stocked from Press'd Juices. It was good but not a product of Bare Bones so I won't elaborate.

House-made savoury mince toasted jaffles - with fried eggs, haloumi and tomato relish

For food, I went with the savoury mince jaffles. These were served with two fried eggs, grilled haloumi and a tomato relish. The relish was delicious! I think Bare Bones Society has a magical way with tomato.


The jaffas themselves were tasty, maybe a tad dry but ok when eaten together with runny egg yolk.

I'm glad to be so close to an establishment like Bare Bones Society. It offers up the kind of food I like eating. The heirloom tomatoes were a knock out and I'm curious to try their dinner offerings.
Bare Bones Society Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment